The war memorial in Horndean is recognised by everyone. but something feels just a bit out of proportion with the lamp at the top. The base is large, and suggests something magnificent was once displayed, but the small lamp is obscure and tiny in context.
The original monument was dedicated on July 21, 1920 and was unveiled by Lady Drury-Lowe. The statue displayed the ‘Goddess Of Victory’ which stood 2 metres tall. In 1964 a car accident occurred and the statue was damaged beyond repair. At the time there was no option other than to take the Goddess down and replace her with a more modest and affordable symbol, the lamp that is there today.
Cllr Schillemore and Cllr Evans are leading the project on behalf of Horndean Parish Council and it is hoped the Goddess may be reinstated.
Since the War Memorial was originally erected 1920 the names of the Second World War casualties and one from Afghanistan have been added to the memorial making a total of 115 names.